Saturday, January 11, 2014

Operas, books, and bars

This past Thursday a couple of us got kebabs and went to a bar called The Shakespeare before going to sit in on a rehearsal for a Tchaikovsky opera at Le Corum (an enormous building that contains an enormous theater and might have something to do with congress..? but who really knows) for our class on musicals. The bar was super neat and apparently they have trivia every Wednesday night that's half in French and half in English. From what I understood (not always a great source), the winning group gets a bottle of whiskey. This is one potential misinterpretation that I would be upset about.

Carly, looking adorable with her half pint of cider and baguette
...and Bree and I, looking rather masculine with our pints of stout and meat kebabs

When we got to Le Corum, we met up with our professor who told us that unfortunately the singers were taking a break that night and we would only be able to watch the dancers. I was completely fine with this, as I was mostly there to earn brownie points to begin with. We got to talk to the stage director and a couple of tech people, who must have been from Paris because their rapid-fire French was nearly incomprehensible. After trying to grasp even one word for about an hour, our teacher explained that the dancers didn't feel like rehearsing that night either (I truly don't know how anything is accomplished in France ever), but the good news was that we could tour the backstage. This was actually very interesting because I worked in a large theater this summer and I enjoyed seeing the differences in backstage organization. Eventually we're going to go see the actual opera, which should be pretty cool.

This is the set. Very Tchaikovsky-y.
The next day we finally had our art history course. The teacher is used to teaching foreign students, so he speaks very clear French and is understanding in general. I really liked the course and every other week we go to a museum instead of meeting for class, which is a nice perk.

On Friday we also finally got to see what the nightlife is like in Montpellier. Without going into too much detail, it is very lively. We actually met some French people who were (to our surprise) very enthusiastic about out American-ness. The nightlife is similar to what we have in the states, except for a few key differences:
  1. French
  2. Males can drink smirnoff ice and other fruity drinks without any judgement being cast
  3. Smoking extends from just the patio to the everywhere
  4. Drinking on the street doesn't make you look homeless, but instead helps you fit in
Today some of us met to get lunch. It escalated quickly, and I'm pretty sure Bree ended up eating about 3 full meals. Our cafe hopping led us to a magical place that sells hot wine.

Sounds gross, tastes glorious
We loitered there for about 2 hours and then went to an all-puropse, but mostly books, bookstore. I really wanted to find the second book in the Divergent series in English, but they didn't have that, so I bought the 7th Harry Potter in French. I wasn't totally sold on the idea of buying Harry Potter in French initially, but then I opened it up and saw all of the incredibly hysterical translations and knew it had to be mine. My favorites thus far:
  • Magic wand is baguette magique. Direct translation: magic baguette. 
  • He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is Celui-Dont-On-Ne-Doit-Pas-Prononcer-Le-Nom. Direct translation: he who one must not pronounce the name. 
I am sure there will be more to come.

Afterwards we met up with Carson's host brother for drinks and hung out with some more very cool/nice French students. They were 17, but that's beside the point. Tonight I committed myself to being lame and staying in because I am incredibly tired and exhausted all of the fun I am capable of last night. Additionally, it is imperative that I start my Lost in Translation: Harry Potter 7 edition list immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment